H and I are off enjoying our honeymoon. I wont be responding to comments, but I will be posting new article and I’ll read all my comments when I get back. Thanks for reading!
This is a guest post from Nathan at Real Sustainable Habits. Nathan kindly offered up some guest posts for while H and I are on our honeymoon. I havent personally tried this recipe yet, but it looks great and when we get a stove, H and I will probably give it a go.
Each week, Real Sustainable Habits highlights a tasty and unique, yet low-cost and easy to prepare vegetarian recipe. We post it on Friday so that you’ll have ample time over the weekend to gather the ingredients in preparation for Meatless Monday. One mission of Real Sustainable Habits is to help people who want to adopt a plant-centered, vegetarian, or vegan diet make that transition. Cutting out all meat one day each week is a great starting point for beginners.
This Week’s Recipe: Eggless Vegetable Quiche
Nathan and I are lacto-vegetarians, and quiche is one dish I never thought we’d be able to make. That is, until I stumbled upon this recipe for Eggless Spinach Quiche. After experimenting with different vegetables and cheeses, I’ve come up with my own variation of this recipie that I’d like to share.
In this recipe we’re going to mix the flavors and textures of spinach, green peppers, broccoli, onions, and pepper jack cheese. These, combined with the spices in the crust and the curry powder we’ll be adding to the tofu, make for a succulant, slightly spicy quiche.
First, let’s gather our kitchen utensils
- 9 inch Pie Pan or 11 inch Tart Pan
- Medium Mixing Bowl
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Medium Skillet
- Rolling Pin
Now let’s cover the ingredients you’ll need:
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup White Flour
- 4 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Basil
- 2 tablespoons Marjorium
- 1 block Extra Firm Tofu, pressed for 30 minutes to remove excess moisture
- 1/2 cup Soy Milk
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 6 cups Spinach, chopped
- 1 small Zucchini, sliced and quartered
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 Green Pepper, diced
- 2 cups Broccoli, chopped
- 1 Garlic Clove, crushed
- 2 teaspoons Curry Powder
- 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons pepper, or to taste
- 2 cups Pepper Jack Cheese, shredded
So we’ve got the ingredients. Let’s now step through how to make Eggless Vegetable Quiche:
- Press the tofu to draining excess water:
- Apply pressure to the tofu by setting the block between two plates.
- Set a 3-5 pound object on the top plate (a heavy book will do the trick).
- Let the tofu sit like this for 30 minutes or more.
- Dispose of the remaining water.
- Make the crust:
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, white flour, salt, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, basil, and marjorium.
- Add iced water one tablespoon at a time to the flour mixture until the flour can be formed into a ball.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and use a rolling pin to roll out the dough to a 1/4 inch thick circle.
- Place the rolled out dough over the pan and lightly press the dough to the surface of the pan.
- Cover the pan with saran wrap and place it in the refrigerator.
- In a blender, combine the tofu, lemon juice, curry powder, salt, pepper, and soy milk until smooth.
- In a medium skillet, saute the onion, zucchini, green pepper, broccoli, garlic, and 2 tablespoons of olive oil for 10 minutes.
- Make the filling: in a large mixing bowl, combine and mix the spinach, sauted vegetables, tofu mixture, and 1-1/2 cups of cheese.
- Take the pie pan out of the refrigerator and spread the filling evenly in the pan. Top it off with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Put the quiche in the oven and bake for 40 minutes at 400 degrees.
- After 40 minutes, take the pan out of the oven and let it sit for 10 minutes before serving. This will allow the filling to set.
That’s how you make Eggless Vegetable Quiche! Enjoy your Meatless Monday meal!
Let us know in the comments how it turned out, or whether you made any adjustments!